March 1, 2011

Amelia & Italian Buttercream

There's a new baby in the house. Meet Amelia.


(Look Jess! After 5+ years, I can now shut up about wanting one!)  

She's 25 lbs, over 11 inches and beautiful. Not long ago I shared how envious I was of Hijiri and her stand mixer but now I'm part of the club! It all happened unexpectedly on an unusual Friday.

Last Friday I was owed a day off work so Mami and I planned a road trip to Seattle with my grandmother (Halmuhnee) and her friend. We were browsing at the Premium Outlet when I spotted a special on red KitchenAid stand mixers at the kitchen store. How convenient that my kitchen colours are red and blue! Four days and a drive of death later, she was home.

I've been telling myself repeatedly that getting one was out of the question because of the lack of space and admittedly my limited counter space has been significantly compromised but I simply couldn't pass on the price. Price trumped counter space. Seriously, I've paid more for jeans and shoes (obviously a lifetime ago, when saving up for a condo was not even on the horizon).


...and the inaugural recipe? Cupcakes from a box. Not the most distinguished recipe for Amelia but we're not judgmental here in this small kitchen. Besides, I needed cupcakes to practice piping techniques for upcoming birthday cakes and cupcake orders. Didn't bother taking pictures of the iced cupcakes because they weren't v. pretty. (Oops. So maybe we're slightly judgmental in this small kitchen.)

The next recipe was Italian Buttercream. Boy, was it ever fun to watch Amelia beat the curdled mess into smooth oblivion. And forget about it when she teams up with BB, because when put together, baking becomes exponentially fun. What I actually did with the buttercream was fun too. Check out the practice roses piped with my new 1M icing tip. Now I need to practice piping a clean finish. I've already shown improvement.



I spy with my little eye 
  • a rose that perished as a snack
  • and Amelia's foot.
 

And we're done like dinner.