March 18, 2011

Fridays are for Inspiration: Martha Stewart


I adore Martha. 
I adore Martha so very much.
I adore Martha so very much that I wish her version of The Apprentice were still on. 
I adore Martha so very much that I wish her version of The Apprentice were still on and I would totally audition.
I adore Martha so very much that I wish her version of The Apprentice were still on and I would totally audition and triumph as her apprentice.
I adore Martha so very much that I wish her version of The Apprentice were still on and I would totally audition and triumph as her apprentice so long as I fix my meringue fail.
 

This post is certainly story-centric but descriptions of my first memory of Martha as many lazy afternoons spent baking iconic chocolate chip cookies from a Living mag with my mom is so not happening. Such lazy afternoons did not exist because while Mami is a great many things, a baker she is not. In truth, my earliest memory of Martha is the hilarious Ana Gasteyer playing her in the SNL skit "Martha Stewart's Topless Christmas Special." Forgive me, M.

My intense love of all things Martha started several years ago when I lived in a basement suite with satellite cable that offered Eastern time zone feeds. That year was heavy on Law and Order: SVU reruns but also heavy on slowly paced breakfasts with The Martha Stewart Show. I'd wake up at 6 to shower, get dressed, make breakfast and pack my bag for school. Then, close to 7 I'd turn on the TV to CBC and catch the tail end of the Doodle Bops.

At the first blare of those trumpets, I'd stop whatever I was doing, park it in front of the TV and nibble on breakfast (usually oatmeal) while taking in all the glory that is Martha. During commercials I'd do little bits of tidying up until those trumpets called me back. I'd leave for work just past 8 and arrive with plenty of time to spare before attendance at 9.

A small sample of Martha articles I have bookmarked:

Thanks for the (constant) inspiration Martha!