March 15, 2011

Mocha Cake with Italian Buttercream

Never before have I met a person who loves celebrating her birthday as much as my dear friend Louise (B to me). It's perfectly normal for her to make multiple announcements a day informing any nearby ears that her birthday is only X more sleeps away. Granted, part of the reason it's such a special day is that her son was born on the same day (!) but I have a sneaky feeling that we'd be reminded just as frequently were that not the case.


Plans were made months in advance for B's birthday to be celebrated at DB Bistro Moderne. My sequence of thoughts upon being invited?  
1. Wow, I'm thrilled and honoured to be invited to the family dinner.
2. Ooh, what cake should I make?
3. Ooh, what's in my Bake This folder?
4. Whoa girl, stop. Instead of being self important and making my choice of cake, maybe I should ask the birthday girl what she wants. C'mon, Romina.

B's request was a Mocha Cake with Italian Buttercream and because it was for her, over an hour of mixer time (thanks Amelia), luxe cocoa powder and over. two. pounds. of. butter. were so worth it. Of course it helped to have extra hands in the kitchen a la Shauna and Cecilia. Happy Birthday B!


Notes and Recipes
- the finished cake serves 12-15 people easily
- icing is less sheet-like when brought to room temperature before serving (~30 mins)
- must practice lettering (pipemanship?). "Happy Birthday" is hurtin'

Mocha Cake adapted from Martha 
- adding 4 heaping teaspoons of espresso powder to the hot water-cocoa powder mixture makes this cake mocha flavoured
- good quality cocoa powder makes a difference. Goodbye Fry's, hello Valrhona.

- a double batch fills, crumb coats and ices a 3 layer cake with ~2.5 cups left over
- crusts slightly, making it easy to tent with aluminum foil and transport to birthday parties